Evidence gathered by the UK´s Camping and Caravanning Club has revealed that camping really does make you richer in mind, body and soul.Over 60 research studies reviewed by John Moores University in Liverpool and an online survey proved conclusively that people who camp are happier, have closer family relationships, are healthier, less stressed and are more socially connected.
‘Real Richness – The List’ was released by the club on 18th April and includes statistics and stories of those who camp and how camping has in many ways transformed their lives.
Some results include:
- 93% of campers say camping can make you happier
- 77% of campers are satisfied with their quality of life compared to 59% of non-campers
- 21% of campers feel stressed on an average day compared to 33% of non-campers
- 91% of all children say spending time exploring the outdoors with their parents makes them happy
- 80% of children who camp feel their parents are less stressed when they go camping and three-quarters say their parents shout less!
- Seven in 10 people agree that camping is accessible to everyone regardless of income
- 79% of kids who have never camped say they would like to
- One in three campers think that camping is a great way to lose weight
- 84% of campers think camping can make you healthier and nearly half think the pastime should be prescribed on the NHS
- 73% of adults suggest camping is something every child should experience and half say it should be on the national curriculum