May 2, 2012

Review - CoolCamping Cookbook 2nd Edition

I didn´t see the first edition of this book but the 2nd edition is fab. I read the introduction and preparation pages which mentioned tasty treats to prepare at home, so dove to that section at back of the book and was hooked.

Chocolate Cement, Orange-baked Muffins (that´s choccy cake baked inside whole oranges) and Grand Marnier marinated oranges, a far cry from my normal camping offerings. I was already imagining summer BBQs with these delicious puds, let alone campfire fare.

This is the first book I´ve read backwards and from its initial impact it didn´t dissapoint. If you´re campsite offerings, like mine, are pretty basic take up the CoolCamper challenge and you´ll be preparing a Sunday joint, Risotto and Salt-baked fish among other foodie delights. Never again will I set my sights so low when relegated to my camp cooker.

Far from the normal campsite grub this book will fight for a place on my packed cookbook shelf, not the camping accessory trunk, and I know will see daylight frequently this summer, camping or not.

My other half picked up this book and amazingly poured through every page, he´s never looked at more than one page in my other cookbooks. Probably the BBQ grill and real-fire cooking that lit him! Even with so many flames it is a cool book.

So superb - I want to go camping now, may a bbq would suffice for now.

If you buy though this link I get a miniscule commision


This book was sent to me as a complimentary copy for review purposes, thanks CoolCamping team, it´s gonna be a dog-eared copy soon.


There´s nothing in the world quite like getting back to nature. Lying on the grass, watching the stars and listening to the sounds of nature.